Sunday, April 1, 2007

Clubhouse Ready

After three long weeks of preparation, the Baybears clubhouse is finally ready. All the initial "spring cleaning" is through, the entire area has been repainted, and the players lounge has been set up. You gotta have a Pepsi cooler, a few refrigerators to store all the pre-game and post-game food, a couple of sofas and the very important playing card table. More on that in the future...

Each player has been issued their uniforms, which include four different jersey tops, two pair baseball pants, a few T-shirts and a jacket. Throw in a couple of baseball caps and a batting helmet and the list is complete. Bring your own cleats and glove, then see me for any bats you may need.

Just as I had been finishing work today, a little white lo-rider pick-up pulls into the players parking lot. Out comes Phil Avlas, #8. Turns out he made the drive from the Tucson spring training camp quicker than expected. Before heading to the team hotel, he wanted to drop of his personal things and find where I assigned his locker. After getting settled, off he went.

Later, Tim Haggerty (radio voice of the Baybears), had picked up trainer Patrick Serbus at Mobile Airport and brought him to the stadium. Must be nice flying on the old expense account, huh. Whenever I want to come to Mobile, I land in Pensacola to be able to afford the airfare....So it goes.... Say hello to Patrick when you see him on the field. Next to me, he has the toughest job on this staff. Please be advised, however, that I always tell him that he works harder than I do, and if you tell him I said anything different, I will deny it!

It looks as if we should have 8 - 10 players attend the optional workout tommorrow, and everyone will be in town for the Tuesday full-on practice. I'll let you know how things go.

See you next time.

1 comment:

morris avlas said...

thanks for taking care of no. 8